Monday, August 25, 2014

A Worthwhile Fishing Trip

Our sermon series about fishing has made me think about the sport of fishing in a different way.  If you were here Sunday you might remember our Praise Team singing Rhonda Vincent's "Fishers of Men."  Jesus tells us to "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of people."  So, we are called by Jesus to fish for people and Jesus will teach us how.  One way He has been teaching me this past week is to get my mind on the important and off the overrated.

My friend Ken sent me a video which was a commencement address by Steve Atchley.  The address is 10 minutes but I am recommending it to you as something that will wisely use your 10 minutes.  It is NOT overrated.  Here is the link.  I hope you will take the time to listen to some good advice about beginning a journey and staying on course.  It will help you to be better fishermen and better fish.  It will help you follow because you will not be stuck on the entitlement mentality that is so prevalent in our society.  It will give you perspective to lose the pressure of thinking life is all about you.  And it will tell you that God hopes you will enjoy your life (in the words of Solomon) "under the sun,"  eating, drinking and working toward the goals God has set for you.  I hope the next two months will help you find that goal and find the joy in living for and through an amazing God.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment