Monday, June 27, 2016

What and Why?

Last Sunday we celebrated what Jesus has done by humbling Himself to walk and live a human life, totally devoted to the mission of saving people (that's us).  This Sunday we will marvel at the Father's response to Jesus.

Over the past few weeks a couple of major sports events have concluded and winners have been crowned.  Dustin Johnson won the US Open in golf and the Cleveland Cavilers were crowned champions in NBA Basketball.  For those in golf and basketball these were pretty big deals.  But many of you needed my reminder (above) to tell you who actually won those events.  Earthly fame is brief and I am very weary of the post-hype that has been part of the sports landscape since 24-hour sports networks have come on the scene.  But there is fame and that is not fleeting.  There are earthly deeds that are not shallow.  The poet C.T. Studd says it this way ... "Only one life, twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last."

In Philippians 2 Paul tells us what Jesus has done but he goes on to tell us that God the Father responded to Jesus' acts.  Jesus is exalted and seated next to God.  THAT praise and "hype" is eternal and lasting.

When I look back at each week I can grasp the meaning of both the poem and the Bible verse (Philippians 2:9-11).  I truly do a lot of things every week.  I stay busy.  I fill my week (somehow) with my plans, my actions and my activities.  I wonder ... what would it be like if I filled every week with God-stuff?  Every action and moment could be for Christ.  Every decision could be to follow Jesus in making the world and the people God sends better.  Every motive could be for love of God and neighbor as self.  John Wesley had two words for this ... Christian Perfection.  "Lord ... make it so!"  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment