Monday, March 20, 2017

Ex Nihilo

I don't use a lot of fancy terms because most often these terms are used to convey what the speaker knows verses to communicate what God is saying.  But here it is ... Ex Nihilo.  The term looks intimidating but back away and the meaning is pretty simple.  It means ... out of nothing.  The theology here is that when God created all things He began with nothing.  But the meaning of this theology is both supernatural and reassuring.  Here's why.

In Genesis 1 the Bible says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters (Genesis 1:1-2 KJV)."  The theology behind ex nihilo is those words ... "formless and empty."  There was nothing there ... even a form that could be defined or described.  That is what God had to start with as He began the process of creation.  It is interesting how we get so caught up in the process of creation that we often fail to grasp this miracle described right in the text of the pages of Genesis 1.

Last week we had a lot of cooking happening at AUMC (we love to eat).  There was the Wednesday night fish fry.  It looked like we would not have enough cole slaw so I went to the store for more cabbage ... I couldn't start with nothing.  On Sunday morning the Men's Breakfast was a great success, so much so that Tom had to go get more eggs ... you can't make an omelet without eggs (you gotta start with something).  God didn't ... God created.  That's the supernatural as (however He chose to make it happen) God set this world and all people into the context of time.

But here is the part of this that is incredibly reassuring to me.  It is the reality that God doesn't need much to make something out of nothing.  The words of "Rock of Ages" bring tears whenever I think of their meaning ...  "Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling; naked, come to Thee for dress; helpless, look to Thee for grace; foul, I to the fountain fly; wash me, Savior, or I die."  When I came to God I brought nothing of value.  Only through God's creation ... God speaking my new life into existence ... do the things I am, the talents I have, the energy I exert or the time I invest have any value.  They are nothing without God's touch.  Like that very first day of all time, the Spirit of God is hovering over each soul, wanting to bring life from death and beauty from vileness.  With our little yes and God's Word speaking life and salvation into us, God creates, yet again, ex nihilo. AMEN!  Randy

1 comment:

  1. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete