Sunday, May 21, 2017

Hard

I shared a comment by Francis Chan today in worship.  Chan said that because he was really good at what he did and because his church had space, programs and all the right attractions, his church would probably be bigger than the church Jesus would lead in Simi Valley (where Chan served for an extended period).  Truth is ... he's probably right!  Serving and following Jesus is hard.

When I read the book of Acts (the story of the early Church) I am reminded of the crew of characters that made up the early expression of Jesus' hands and feet the world.  Unemployed fishermen ... a tax collector ... a physician ... women ... all coming our of Pentecost filled with the Spirit of God and the fire of God's indwelling.  But that Church grew.  In spite of rabid persecution ... in spite of religious and political powers opposing them at every turn ... they grew, scattered and spread out into the Mediterranean rim with the gospel of truth, life and forgiveness.

This all makes me feel a little better about us and, specifically, me.  I know for sure that I am not adequate for the ministry tasks I encounter every week.  This week is looking particularly difficult because I have no easy solution for the problems I will encounter.  There are no easy answers, no cliches and no pat answers.  It will ba hard!  I only have what David Platt (in our video this morning) said the Church of Acts had ... the Word of God ... the people of God and the Spirit of God.  Lord ... thank you for a Word that leads me when I am totally insufficient to the task ahead.  Thank you for people that love and nurture me when I am stubborn, weak and at a loss for what to do.  And thank you for Your Spirit that walks beside me and gives me counsel when I need it most.  For ministry You are all that I need!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment