Sunday, September 22, 2019

Half Time

Over the next few months we will embark on a journey based on Bob Buford's book Half Time:  Moving From Success to Significance.  I love the title because our world seems to be in a battle that is between these two extremes.

Of course, all of this somewhat depends on our definition of 'success' and 'significance.'  These definitions are worth asking yourself what each of these things mean for you.  Another question might be, "Why would I want to move from success?"  Our answers to these questions have a major impact on how we do life.

Jesus spoke a lot about this.  In Matthew 16:26 Jesus said ... "What good would it be for a man to gain the whole world and forfeit their soul?"  This seems to imply the soul is valued higher than 'the whole world.'  In a world that values likes on Facebook, Twitter followers and the latest and coolest devices, Jesus seems to think something else is more valuable.

I even wonder if Jesus is telling us that care for our soul ... doing things that feed, grow and uplift the soul ... are things to strive for.  In Buford's book he says that half time is when we rethink and reset our life goals.  In a football game the coach takes half time to look at what did and didn't work in the first half.  Good coaches do something that is the only sane reaction to this assessment ... they make adjustments so that the 2nd half will win the game.

This week I would like for each of us to ponder the questions above and ask some 'heart' questions.  Am I seeking success by the world's standards or significance by 'soul' standards?  What adjustments do I need to make so that my life can become vibrant, significant and worthy of a God who loves me?  What is the 'game' and am I trying to win the 'rat race' or do I "press on toward the goal to win the prize to which I am called in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14)?"  Are my goals, plans, days, hours, minutes 'world-focused' or 'kingdom-focused?'  Good questions I hope!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment