Monday, November 20, 2023

Food

Most of you see the title of the blog and get a little "bloated" thinking about the days to come.  When Lee and I lived in Charlotte we would eat Thanksgiving lunch at my parents and then Thanksgiving dinner at her parents.  That evening I felt like Joey Chestnut after a hot-dog eating contest.  WAY too full!!!!

Most of us will have an abundance of food, family and friends this week, and I hope we (as expressed musically on Sunday) are "grateful for the hands we hold, gathered round the table."  Lots of food, fun, football and fizz (of Alka-Seltzer after the meal).

But it isn't like that for everyone.  JD Walt (Wake Up Call ... see the link at the bottom of your weekly newsletter) tells a story of being aware of the Holy Spirit as we navigate the food table this Thanksgiving.  Here goes ...

When I was employed at the US Postal Service, I had a friend (John) with a large family, 8 with one on the way.  John, shared a lunchtime Bible Study with me, an especially fulfilling part of my life. We shared prayer, life, concerns and fellowship.  One day after John asked for prayer for his family, I felt the urging of the Holy Spirit.  I called my wife, Stella, and asked her to purchase $100 worth of groceries for John's family.  The Holy Spirit didn't just talk to me.  Stella told me that $100 of groceries looked too meager, so she purchased over $200.  When I got home we loaded the groceries in the trunk and went to John and Patty's home.  I knocked on the door and said, "John, we are not trying to embarrass you, but are just trying to be faithful to the Holy Spirit's calling.  We have a gift for you from our family and the Holy Spirit.  I opened the trunk, and John and Patty embraced in tears.  John took me into the house and opened their pantry door.  All they had was a single bag of rice.  John said, "We have already exhausted our opportunities with the food pantries in town, and this is all we have till payday, 5 days off.  Thank you!!!"  We watched as the kids excitedly unloaded the groceries and placed them in the food pantry.  It was full! I had difficulty driving away, because of the tears that filled my eyes, and for the Spirit using His hands of provision for a family in need.

This story makes me understand better our food pantry at church.  It reminds me that God is working in small things that are often minimized by our culture infected with affluenza. It makes me both thankful and challenged that God sees, hears and acts to use us (the body of Christ) to shout God's presence into a world that is missing Jesus.  It makes me think of Isaiah 40:3, "In the wilderness, prepare the way for the Lord, and make straight in the desert a highway for our God."  Let's take this as a challenge this holiday season.  Instead of a barely-distinguishable game trail, Isaiah calls us to allow God to use us to "make a highway!"  Let's shout and sing and proclaim that Christ is born and God's Spirit is here, bringing heaven to earth!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment