Monday, February 12, 2024

Alterations

In her introduction of the series Altar'd (the one we will spend Lent exploring), Susan Kent offers an image of God as a master tailor.  Most of us have experienced a time when our clothing needed to be altered.  All my life I have moved in and out of my "fighting" weight (more out than in) and have seen/felt my clothing either comfortably loose or uncomfortably tight.  Maybe you have too, but I think we get the picture!

Here is how my mind wraps around the image of God as a master tailor, clothing us for a righteous and holy life, in the image of Jesus.  First, we must ask, "how much we trust the tailor."  We live in a world of options and possibilities.  What kind of fabric?  Which colors do I wear?  What will either attract attention or blend in?  But, what if we asked the tailor, "What looks best and fits your design of me?"  "How can I dress for the plans you have for me (Jeremiah 29), and for the work you will have me do (Philippians 1:6)?"  Will we let the master tailor be in total charge of the design, the fabric, the color and the texture of our garment?

Second, how does the fitting happen?  When you go to a tailor to get fitted for clothing, what uncomfortable thing must you do?  You must stand in front of the tailor, allow the tailor to look at you, and be still while the tailor marks the fabric (Psalm 139:23-24).  These things are necessary if you want the finished garment to fit properly.  And, I admit, I am not very good at these things, especially that "being still" thing.  "Be still and know that I am God" ... Psalm 46:10 comes to mind.

Finally, we must remember that the making of the garment is a process.  "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well (Psalm 139:14)."  If God is the master tailor, the master builder and our Lord, we accept "process" as part of the deal.  I remember singing, "God's still working on you!"

Every week I resemble an impatient, fickle and demanding customer of the master tailor.  I want the garment now.  I don't want to stand still.  I want to be in charge.  I question my wonderful creator, rather than kneeling at His altar and saying, "You are the potter and I am the clay (Isaiah 64:8)."  So I will leave this blog with a prayer ... "Lord, we are made for Your purpose and Your Kingdom.  Mark us so we can be clothed in Your righteousness.  Clothe us so that we will be dressed for battle, helping, healing and heaven ... whatever you choose.  You pick out the fabric, the design and the way You want the garment to look.  For You are the potter, and the clay isn't supposed to tell the potter what to do.  I trust You.  Help me with my doubts, encourage me when I fail, and thank You for loving me when I fail to be still enough to know You.  I give this day to Your plan and Your Kingdom. AMEN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment