Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Finest

Each year I marvel at the Missions Auction that takes place in our Family Life Center.  I have learned that we can approach this event with different perspectives.  Some come to this kind of auction hoping to find that 'deal' that is a diamond in the rough.  I understand the attitude.  Things are costly, and every dollar means something.  But some come differently.  They come to see how we can help out with missional needs in our community and all over the world.  I am not writing to condemn one or praise the other.  I have just been challenged by the Wake Up Call devotionals I have read, and am especially convicted/convinced by today's episode about bringing the finest.

The attitude of bringing the finest to God can relate to our stuff.  I have a pastor friend who had a member knock on his door.  When he opened the door, the man stood on the front porch with an old TV.  The man said, "God told me to give this TV to the parsonage."  My friend (after seeing this attitude for many years of ministry) finally broke and said, "No He did not!"  "Let's see ... you are telling me that you have this old TV taking up space, and you want to get rid of it.  I suspect you probably have a newer/better TV at home.  So let's see ... you want to give this to the church, while you reserve the good stuff for your use?" The man left in a huff, and my friend figured he was about to be in trouble with the leadership of his church.  Later that day, he heard another knock on the door.  He opened the door, and there stood the man with a new TV.  The man simply said, "You were right."  He left the TV and walked off.

While this amusing story might give us the chance to scoff at this man and his attitude, I wouldn't be so fast to criticize.  Do we give God our finest?  Of our resources?  Of our talents?  Of our time?  Of our creativity?  I certainly fall short on this at times, and I am glad the Wake Up Call has reminded me that God called the Hebrews to bring the finest flour as a grain offering.  The offering was given to remember the covenant made at Mt. Sinai ... this is where God claimed the Hebrews as His people and they claimed Yahweh as their God.  This offering was both an act of worship and a way to provide for the priests who served God.  The grain offering was to be of the finest flour and was an act of worship and ongoing relationship with God and His people.

So, how do you come to the altar we are building?  For we come 1) entering God's place and presence (what an honor!), 2) rejoicing in our relationship with God, 3) excited that God has provided leadership that loves their people, 4) remembering God's kept promises, and 5) expectantly looking forward to God's work that is to come!  It is worth our finest!  So we bring our open hearts.  We bring our repentance!  We bring our humility!  We bring our children!  For we offer what is dear to us ... our finest!  Because God gave us the very best He had ... His name was/is Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment