Monday, February 10, 2014

It's Hard

It is hard for me to do what is asked by the sermon this Sunday.  I have a tendency to interject myself into conversations before I let the speaker play out what they are saying.  I have to consciously work on listening and not talking when I am involved in a conversation.  I, to all of you who I have interrupted, ask your forgiveness and pardon ... I will try to do better.  The kicker is, I even do this when I am talking to God.

On February 2nd, during Communion at the 1st service, I used a video from Kari Jobe called "The More I Seek You."  The words of the song are beautiful and reflect the words of Jeremiah 29:13, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  Herein lies my problem ... I often tell God what I want rather than listen to what God wants.  I forget that I have two ears and one mouth and should listen twice as much as I speak.  I forget that God has a opinion that is better and smarter than mine.

I often remind myself of a friend named Amos, a preacher from a previous church.  Amos was a good soul but we knew to never ask Amos to preach before a meal (at least if you were hungry).  Amos would go off into the salutations of a great, merciful and mighty God and would get through this part of the prayer in about five minutes.  Then it was time to settle in.  When Amos prayed you could count on cold green beans and tepid stew ... and growling stomachs.

This week I hope all of us can go to God and use our ears.  God has a lot to say and he will direct our paths if we let Him.  Maybe we will find less trouble, less anxiety, less tension, fewer headaches and less conflict. Maybe we will find more calm, more peace, more grace and more God when we choose to listen.

Let's give it a try and trust God to be a light unto our path and a lamp unto our feet.  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment