Monday, February 16, 2015

What Up?

I know we have all thought it ... "What up with this mess in the world?"  Because there is so much negative we can get focused on it 24-7.  I was watching one of our news networks and noticed that in an hour span about 90% of the programming was from a negative, downer perspective.  What do you think happens when people ingest a steady diet of this?  After all ... you are what you eat.  Yep ... they feel hopeless, powerless and helpless to do anything about the problems that are far too prevalent.

So ... we come to Lent, a 40-day period in which we look critically at the world around us, critically at ourselves, and we reflect.  If our entire being is filled with the negativity of the world, I can almost assure you this will lead you to some level of depression.  And this is where we find the prophet Habakkuk.  He is in that conversation with God over this worldly setting of negativity.  He's fed up and he is looking for someone on whom he can unload both barrels of his complaints.

This is where I find many of my friends and companions as we run the race of faith together.  So, we can do two things.  We can keep doing reflection and life just like we always have ... and we will get the same results (believe me, I've tried!).  Or, we can decide to change up out thought process.  This is what I plan to do this Lenten season.  For the next 40 days I will commit to reflecting on God and on my faith journey.  I will avoid the swamps of cable TV news, talk radio and the negativity people want to bring into focus.  And I will do what Paul advised (Col. 2) ... "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ.. "  And I will listen as I look up, knowing God will answer my complaints and problems and concerns in new ways I haven't even imagined.  What up?  Christ is "above" so look there!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment