Monday, December 7, 2015

Everlasting Father

It's still a mystery to me
That the hands of God could be so small
How tiny fingers reaching in the night
Were the very hands that measured the sky
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Heaven's love reaching down to save the world
Hallelujah, hallelujah, son of God, servant King
Here with us, You're here with us
 
This Joy Williams song (done by the praise band Sunday) expresses some of the same ideas we find in the 1st Chapter of John when John tells us the Word (Jesus) was there from the beginning and that the Word was both with God and God.  John goes on to say that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

This passage is both remarkable and challenging to me.  It is remarkable because the beautiful transcendence of God is shown by His ability to enter our situation and wrap Himself around our frailty, our poverty, our uncertainty and our problems.  Yes, it is amazing that the tiny hands of Jesus measured the sky but it is even more amazing that God, in Christ, became small enough to come into the lives of people like you and me.  He truly walks with us because He lives in us!

The passage is challenging because I have a tendency to lower God to my position and status.  This is partly because God does truly care about my individual issues and problems, but I drift attitudinally toward the natural conclusion that life is somehow me-focused.  "God wants what is best for ME!" ... is very true, but never forget that what is best for me is for God's kingdom to come on earth as it is in heaven.  My needs, my "good" is under the overall umbrella of God's overall plan.  Never forget that the servant king that is here with us serves a master higher, greater and more worthy than my petty needs.  Jesus serves the Father in purpose, direction and eternal destination.  My part in this is to make sure, by emulating His servanthood, I am on His path toward that purpose, direction and eternal destination.  Our Everlasting Father was here in the beginning, is here in the present and will be here even after this patch of dirt and this frail body becomes dust.  

No comments:

Post a Comment