Monday, July 25, 2016

Soldiers

Last Sunday we sang the old hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers."  That hymn is a marching tune and is fun and peppy to sing.  We have a number of similar hymns that call us to action and what Paul called a battle against evil forces, some seen and some unseen.  I love this hymn for a number of reasons and I hope I one day can say I am a good soldier in the army of the Lord.

In Philippians 2:25-30, Paul exhorts the name of Epaphroditus.  It is an obscure name only mentioned in Philippians.  I love what Paul has to say because we often forget the battle is won, not with rock stars, talkers and mega leaders, but with foot soldiers.  These faithful soldiers go into homes, work places, Sunday School classes, missions and the trenches where "the least of these" are served, taught and loved.

As I read this passage I think of those faithful foot soldiers right here in Abbeville.  What Paul says about Epaphroditus could be said about many of you.  He, and you, are true brothers/sisters, co-workers and soldiers.  Paul tells the people of Philippi he should be welcomed and honored.  You should too!  May I view each day as "Randy, reporting for duty" under the great leadership of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Thanks for honoring me by allowing me to serve alongside you! Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment