Monday, January 16, 2017

Order

I have to admit ... my past several weeks have been a whirlwind of duties, work, some playtime, some late evenings and a lot of time driving from one place to another.  My time has been much more chaotic than I desire and I feel there are things I have forgotten to do.  I know there are things left undone and I don't like that at all.

I am reminded of two verses as I stop and reflect on the past two weeks.  One is Hosea's warning about living life on the edge.  He writes ... "They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind."  He reminds Israel (the Northern Kingdom) that their plotting with foreign powers, their fast living, their false prosperity and their abandonment of God's plan will end badly.  God's order (plan) has been replaced by the chaotic pursuit of their schemes. God's wisdom has been replaced by high living, self-focused and short-sighted pleasures and what he calls "building wealth on the backs of the poor."  Israel is in chaos.

For Israel, and for Randy, it is important to go back to the basics and remember the God that ordered the sun, moon and stars.  Isaiah says God has it all under control, calling each star (there are one billion trillion in the observable universe) by its true and proper name.  That God saw chaos (Genesis 1) ... a world that was formless and void ... and methodically spoke order into that prehistoric mess.  Whatever happened, God made it happen, and it was good!

For a God that majestic and that big, my little messes don't seem like much.  For my day I can approach it asking God to order my steps.  For tomorrow, I can remember that God is already there, going ahead to provide the opportunities for good things.  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment