Monday, April 10, 2017

Stew

It has gotten cooler over the last few weeks.  Yesterday it was 45 degrees when I set foot in the door of the church.  It is great weather with cool mornings and warm days.  Last night I even had stew, a winter meal.  As I ate I thought about the goodness of the mixture of meat, vegetables and seasonings.  Since I cook with "a little of this and a little of that" no batch of stew is quite the same.  But it is good.

The simplicity, wholesomeness and basicness of stew is something I relish.  When I was in North Carolina last month I marveled at the consumerism, the competition and the glitz of many of the churches I passed.  I know during Easter it will be a full-on push to provide the entertainment that our society so craves.  Last night I watched a special segment of 60 Minutes about how the consumer electronics industry is totally focused on capturing and keeping our attention on our devices, using hi-tech methods such as gaming-technology to basically addict us to our electronics (cell phones, computers, gaming devices).  I'm sure none of you have seen this trend.  But as I drove by those churches I wondered if the church is any different?  There is nothing basic, wholesome or Biblical about some of the consumerism we encourage as Christian congregations.  I wonder why we are so caught up in the "show" that we seek another show rather than the reason for the show?

During Holy Week, the week before and including Easter, I will relish another kind of stew.  I will enjoy our people at AUMC and all of our interactions.  I will enjoy the simplicity and wholesomeness of our Maundy Thursday Service (7pm Thursday) where we remember the first communion that Jesus called a "New Commandment."  As we worship there will be a "stew" of people from all walks of life, perfectly seasoned and mixed by God's hand.  On Friday (7pm) that mix will continue as we ask a musical question, "Were you there?" at the Tenebrae Service.  We will do our best in both of these pure worship times to tell the story of the Cross and allow you to experience the highs and lows of this very Holy Week.  I hope simplicity and purity of intent continues on Easter morning as we approach the level ground of the Cross.  We want to be that place (the Church) Paul was a true "stew" where there are no distinctions among people ... just a rag-tag gathering of fellow beggars looking for the bread of life.  And we will find that bread in Jesus ... a perfect compliment to the stew of the Church!  Randy

2 comments:

  1. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete