Monday, February 21, 2022

Lessons from the Deck

Each week I am on the lookout for things that God is sending to teach us about His Word and His Truth.  Several of us have been in discussions about the wood deck at the parsonage, and some needed repairs that have been approved by the Trustees.  In assessing what we need to do, I have learned several things.

The most pressing deck-related issue is that some of the wood support posts are deteriorating.  That is not surprising, since the deck has been here for a very long time.  But this reality does invite a discussion about why wood deteriorates.  In the case of the deck, the wood posts are cladded by cosmetic coverings that make the columns look larger and more decorative.  The downside?  Cladding holds in moisture, the number one enemy of wood products.

Every week I meet with people and see people who are wearing "cladding."  By this I mean that their outside does not reflect what is on the inside.  I confess to be like this more than I would like.  It is our human nature to try to look better than we really are.  We put on a happy face, and being upbeat is a pretty good thing. But one of the people I met this week said something that brought this blog to life and reminded me of two Scripture passages.  The person said (and I paraphrase) "I have been holding in the real things that are bothering me, and they seem to come out anyway."  

The first lesson here is simple.  Rather than clad ourselves with things that make us look better, cover ourselves with Christ, so we may (transparently) let people see Christ in us.  Ephesians 4:24 says, "put on the new self, created after the likeness of God, in true righteousness and holiness."  Translation ... we are new creations, changed and conformed to the God we should reflect.  That likeness offers a transparent exterior.  When we hide our identity (cladding our interior with a false exterior) we hide who/what is inside.  Jesus said, be authentic.  "Let your yes be yes and your no be no" Matthew 5:37 says.  When we cover up who we are, the interior rots while the outside looks like nothing is wrong.

The second lesson from this observation is the solution to the problem.  When we hold in the truth, things tend to rot.  The solution is one that Jesus offers.  "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples and the truth will set you free! (John 8:31)."  Friday, I will be meeting with 115 youth-aged young adults.  They will, hopefully, be looking for the truth.  We will share God's word, and especially Jesus' words.  Jesus' words reveal us.  Jesus' words challenge us.  Jesus' words expose the real warts, flaws and burdens we carry around so hidden by our masks.  Pray that they will learn transparency, kindness, grace, patience, and love.  We sometimes forget that we were made by a good God in His image, and when we hide that image we try to be something that dishonors God's design.  So Friday I will share music, my love, my warts, my hopes, my dreams and my God with those children of the King.  Pray that I will honor that God by offering myself in a real and authentic way.  If I do that, maybe they will see a little of Jesus in me, and maybe they will let me see them too!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment