Sunday, August 21, 2022

You Move Me!

One of my favorite old Christian songs is called "You Move Me."  It is sung by Susan Ashton and is an expression of a faithful God that moves stubborn people like me from comfort to connection.  I love the lyrics that say, "You move me, out of myself, and into the fire" and "You move me, I can't go with you and stay where I am."  The song has been part of my faith journey as I have watched and experienced a God that won't allow me to be complacent, stagnant or indifferent.

How about you?  Do you feel the movement of God's Spirit, as He breathes new life into our congregation?  The new life and growth will bring challenges, choices and blessings.  Those things might seem like chaos, but God has a way of bringing order to chaos if we just watch, listen and pray.  I will be doing all of those things as I try to follow God out of myself and into the fire.

I love what Isaiah 43 says about those fires.  "When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned: the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the Lord your God (Isaiah 43:2)."  Earlier, God claims His people, saying, "Do not fear for I have redeemed you: I have called you by name and you are mine (Isaiah 43:1)."  Do you grasp those truths?  We are claimed by God.  We are protected by God.  God knows the situations we get ourselves into, yet He is with us and all around us!

So I enter this season and journey of change, expectant and assured that our God is here.  That is the God who looked into a formless void and brought order, light and life, breathing His Spirit into people like you and me.  That is the God we worship and serve.  So, "Lord ... move us where you will.  Give us life and grace, and move us out of ourselves and into the fire.  And we will give you the glory!" AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment