Monday, September 19, 2022

A Different Kind of Healing

If you read it carefully, the New Testament is filled with stories of Jesus casting out demons, and I am a believer in a demonic realm that is well-documented in God's word.  Ephesians 12 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm."  In Romans 8 Paul says that these powers (neither angels nor demons) can prevail against "the love of God that is in Christ our Lord."  I remind you of these things in the context of Scripture that is very clear on the subject of evil, led by a very real Satan.  

There is a school of thinking that would classify some of the New Testament "demonic" encounters as what we see as people in a nation plagued by the infirmities known as mental illness.  While I am not ready to connect these two things, I see (daily) the effects of mental illness on people right here in our community.  The Surgeon General (December 7, 2021) issued an advisory on what is called a Youth Mental Health Crisis that impacts as many as 1 in 3 students ages 3 to 17, and many more young adults.  Impacts are felt in adults from late teens to the elderly.  In my ministry, I see all of this unfolding, and this congregation has been directly impacted by the epidemic of hopelessness, helplessness and even suicide.  I won't profess to know the line between mental illness and the demonic realm, but I have seen, first hand, people overcome by this infirmity.  But I have also seen people healed from this and other diseases.  So ... let's see what Jesus did!

In Mark 5:1-20, Jesus heals a demon-possessed man and casts the demons out into a herd of pigs.  In this rather famous story, Jesus contends with four issues we sometimes face when we decide to confront our demons.  The first confrontation Jesus faces is the man himself.  Scripture says the man "could not be restrained."  He cut himself and broke away from every restraint, seemingly having super-human strength.  The second confrontation was the demons possessing the man.  Scripture says that the spirits called themselves "Legion" because they were many.  Jesus commands that the demons come out.  The third confrontation was the reality that the demons knew the identity of Jesus, something Jesus didn't want to be revealed at that time.  The demons call Jesus "Son of the most high God."  The fourth confrontation is with the people of the town.  After Jesus sends the demons into a nearby herd of pigs, the people see their economic loss and maybe they are even afraid of the power of Jesus!

I have lots of "takeaways" from this story.  But here is the one thing I believe with my heart.  For the issues faced in the area of the Gerasenes, Jesus was what the people needed and what that young man needed.  For the issues we are facing with the "pandemic" of mental health issues, maybe we should call on Jesus.  I believe He would say what is conveyed every Thursday evening in the Family Life Center ... 1) admit my plans have ME out of control 2) acknowledge there is a power that is able to run things right , 3) be ready to give my will to God 4) see myself honestly 5) admit my good and bad traits to God and another human being, 6) prepare myself for God to cast out the bad 7) ask God to send out the bad and grow the good 8) make a list of those people I have harmed 9) make amends where it will not hurt another, 10) make this inventory process part of my normal behavior, 11) keep in contact with God through prayer, reflection and connection with God's people, 12) remember to help others (it's not about me ... it is about God's plan).  We all have hurts, habits and hang-ups.  Maybe, when dealing with issues of the mind and the spirit,  the healthy thing is to give them to the Healer!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment