Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Influenced or Influencer?

As we begin our journey together as an official part of the Alabama Emerald Coast Conference of the Global Methodist Church, I remember a statement I read in "Still Day One."  The statement quotes E. Stanley Jones on the subject of faith.  Jones says our faith isn't about an "it" (denomination, rites, our traditions, any 'trappings' of our history) ... it is about a person named Jesus.

I have a friend that often talks about each of us being leaders that are here to influence people toward faith, belief and religion.  This is not a bad thought on the surface.  But I believe I would disagree about the primacy of our being agents of influence.  Here's why:

1. The Holy Spirit (God in us) is always directing us to/toward Jesus.  When I become the influencer, I view the influence through MY lens.  MY lens is clouded by so many things, I can't write them all down!

2. When I become the influencer, my human reaction is to plan my direction and head that way.  This is fine if MY direction and God's direction are the same.  But I am human and flawed.  My direction/plan flows from my understanding and from my needs/desires/fears/situation.  While my intentions may be noble, my application isn't always what it should be.  Persuasion can become ego-driven and prideful.  I can use ultimatums/titles/organizations as devices for controlling and steering others.  For me, these are why I cannot (and should not) become the great influencer my friend teaches about.

Here's a better way.  Become one who is "influenced" by Jesus.  Ask, "What is Jesus doing?"  Here is how Paul words this in Philippians 2:

"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing from His Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interests of the others.  [and here is the secret!!] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus ... " (Philippians 2:1-5).

Paul says the key is for each of us to be influenced by Jesus ... not to become "great leaders" or "great influencers."  We are not followers of an "it."  We are followers of a "Him."  So follow!  Randy


No comments:

Post a Comment