Monday, February 17, 2014

Garage

In our last few houses we have had a garage.  I should say a vestigial garage, since we have, to my knowledge, almost never had the available space to actually park a car.  Our garage has always been filled with stuff we couldn't put anywhere else.  So the stuff has displaced the car that should be there.

There is a lesson the garage can teach me.  I have always been a driven person.  I am writing this blog at 10:07 on a Friday evening (it is supposed to be my day off).  But here I am, because when the message comes into my mind, I go to my computer to write it down.  If I don't, it will be gone and I might never get it back again.  I know that sounds noble in some way, but there is something not so good here.  I will be thinking about this, my message on Sunday, the schedule for the next week and lots of other things at 11pm when I put my head on the pillow.  I will stop ... put myself in the "garage" but I will forget something ... to turn off the motor.

I have always had difficulty shutting down and really resting.  I share this because I have tried, in the past few years, to take some outdoor time when I get totally away and into nature.  This is my real "down" time when all I am thinking about is paddling across the bay or along the bank of a lake.  A long time ago I learned a song that is in our hymnal.  It is an Hispanic hymn that can be sung in either Spanish or English.  It has a beautiful classical tune that gives me comfort and peace.  The words are "Lord, you have come to the lake shore looking neither for wealthy nor wise ones. You only asked me to follow humbly. O Lord, with your eyes you have searched me, kindly smiling, have spoken my name. Now my boat's left on the shoreline behind me; by your side I will seek other seas. You know so well my possessions; my boat carries no gold and no weapons; You only need, my nets and labor. O Lord, with your eyes you have searched me, kindly smiling, have spoken my name. Now my boat's left on the shoreline behind me; by your side I will seek other seas."

Jesus remind us that following Him means bearing a yoke that is easy and carrying a burden that is light, because He is with us.  I think this means giving up our worries and our type-a-ness to a God who gives us peace and rest.  I need to yield my day, my worries, my life to Him and turn off that motor.  Pray that I will be successful.  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment