Monday, December 15, 2014

Treasure

Where is your treasure?  What do you value the highest?  What do you take with you everywhere?

Luke 2:19 says, "but Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often."  What are "all these things?"

For Mary I could only guess from the text she might have played back the series of events that have brought her to that moment of reflection ... the angel's appearance in Luke 1:26-38, the visit with Elizabeth and the knowledge that she and Elizabeth are forever connected by the little boys they carry in the womb, her song of joy and faith (Luke 1:46-55), the trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem, the birth of Jesus in the stable and the visit of the shepherds.

The Scriptures about all of this reveal a Mary that seems to be calm and reflective in the midst of what, for most of us, would be events that bring anxiety, fear and a mind that is racing with possibilities.  "What will the neighbors say?"  "How will Joseph and I provide for him?"  "How does a 14 year old girl become a mother?"  "What is this child that brings peace and calm to his mother in the midst of all of this?"  "How do I keep my promise to God to be open and used by Him?"

I am challenged by that last question, because of all of those thoughts, that should be the one I keep in my heart and think about often.  It is a question for every day.  The answer answers another question ... where and what is my treasure?  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment