Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Overcomers

During the past few months life, finances, relationships and "my" world has been in a state of turmoil.  I won't go into detail about all of the issues but I know some of you have faced, are facing or will face some trials that might put mine to shame.  I am not writing to complain or even stop some of the painful things that are going on.  I am not writing asking you or God to anesthetize me so that I am living in a blissful state.  I am just remarking that life is troubling at times.

In His last words to the disciples before His arrest, Jesus has some words about troubling times and trying situations.  Here are some of His words of advice.

     1. Part of what is happening is that we are being "pruned and purified."  John 15 reminds us of this and recommends that we remain (abide) in Jesus, our true vine.

     2. Another part of the life-situation swirling around us is that we are living in a place that is not our true home.  1 Peter 2:11 says we are "temporary residents and foreigners" and Jesus confirms this in John 15 by telling us we do not belong to this world but are people who are to live in and serve in the world (in emulation of Jesus).  In effect we are God's investment in this world He loves, here to bear fruit and make a difference in the lives of people.

     3. Jesus tells us not to be troubled ... for He has it under control both now and in eternity (John 14).

     4. He also gives us a promise that even when we are overwhelmed He has overcome the world (John 16:33) and that we can have peace because of what Jesus has done.

As I read these passages, I will be working to take them in, digest them, appropriate them for my life and give them rule over my attitude (a difficult thing for me to do).  Pray for me to a) let Jesus rule my heart and b) for me to be able love in the way He loved us ... as He and the Father love one another.  This brings to mind the lyrics of a song written a while back called "Oh, The Deep Deep Love of Jesus (S. Trevor Francis, 1870)."  Here are those timeless words:

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

If I can allow Him to do this work of love in my life, I am pretty sure everything else will work itself out.  Thanks!  Pastor Randy

4 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers, Pastor Randy. Thanks for sharing. We all have a story and God is the one who wants to be with it as it continues to unfold. Glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher ... thanks for your comment ... new post just published

      Delete
  2. I know my journey is hard. I know it can get harder. But, I have learned to focus on God, nothing else...often having to start again and again and again and again, often minute by minute...and through that focus I experience the deepest and most amazing infinite goodness and love of God. I thank you for being "real" and allowing us to share some of your journey. God bless you in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie ... hope your week is good ... new post just posted.

      Delete