Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Which Team?

Sunday we will be talking about your team allegiance.  Most of you are saying "No, no ... that will cause a big fight in Church."  The Alabama and Auburn fans will me unbolting pews and throwing them, not to mention Georgia, Florida and other fans.  Since I am a Duke basketball fan, I will be somewhat immune, but you get the picture.  However I will only peripherally be discussing football (but I promise it will make its way into the message).  The operative question is "Which team do you play for?"

Brandon Heath sings a song that challenges us, convicts us and calls us to a different attitude toward the world.  Here are the words to "Give Me Your Eyes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5AkNqLuVgY

Looked down from a broken sky  
Traced out by the city lights 
My world from a mile high 
Best seat in the house tonight
Touched down on the cold black tar 
Hold on for the sudden stop 
Breathe in the familiar shock  
Of confusion and chaos
All those people going somewhere  
Why have I never cared?
Give me Your eyes for just one second 
Give me Your eyes so I can see 
Everything that I keep missing 
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the brokenhearted 
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the one's forgotten 
Give me Your eyes so I can see

I wonder ... when people see us (the Church, Christians, Jesus followers) what do they see?  Do they see our political stance?  Do they see the distance between 'us' and 'them.'  Do they see heads raised and looking elsewhere or do they see people of compassion who hurt for others?  Do they see judgement or people who will walk beside them on their journey?

If you like music, listen to the song.  Even though it convicts me, I like it.  Because the Holy Spirit is in the business of convicting me often, and where the Spirit is alive, THAT is where I ought to be.  Lord, give me your eyes for just one second!  Pastor Randy

1 comment:

  1. Great song lyrics. I too agree -- Like Aticus says in To Kill a Mockingbird -- "We need to walk in another's shoes" -- to understand them, their problems, their struggles, their culture, their religion....
    Thank you for your blogs!

    ReplyDelete