Monday, June 20, 2022

An Observation

The more I live in these times, the more I am beginning to observe and reflect upon what is going on around us.  Most people think their daily actions and decisions are confined to that day and time.  I am not so sure anymore.  And, in conversation with my friends at Calvary and FBC here in Abbeville, I wonder why Vacation Bible School seems to be less-attended than in previous years?  Is it the aftermath of COVID?  Is it people being too busy?  Is it kid-oriented sports leagues?  Is it that the outside temperature is a thousand degrees and feels like two thousand degrees?  I am not sure.  But here are a few things I am very sure of.

1. I think our adults need some serious adulting.  Part of that adulting process is to learn to learn from good things like God's Word.  We have 330 million Americans and 330 million experts on everything.  Can I (we) listen to someone reliable and find teaching and worth in a lesson that comes from outside of my entrenched opinion?  Do I really believe God is smarter than me, as I proclaim what "my god" is like?  God is who God is ... God has given us truth about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ... THAT Truth can be found in God's Word, not my opinion.  People need to learn to learn.

2. I think our children need less family stress and more challenge.  I preached Sunday about why I like softball and sports like it.  2/3 of the time the hitter fails.  Mistakes are rampant and the team has to collectively get out of situations caused by an error of another team member.  That is like life.  Struggle is part of the deal, and that is ok.  I meet two kinds of people ... people who are in the midst of struggle and people who are lying about their struggles to look better than they actually are.  People need to learn to persevere through struggles.

3. I think our sources of advice are flawed.  If you think the news media are not biased, you are not being honest with yourself.  If you think Facebook, TikTok or Instagram are reliable sources of truth, you are walking in darkness.  Isaiah, in his prophesy about Christ said, "The people who are walking in darkness have seen a great light (Isaiah 9:2)!"  Do you know the light of the world?  Have you seen Him and do you look for Him in your daily journey?  Is Jesus your source of truth, or is culture your guide?  People need to learn where to find truth.

I reflect on all of this, because I believe King David (led by God) placed the truth of Psalm 1 first for a reason.  "Oh the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners or join in with mockers.  But they delight in the law of the Lord and meditate on it day and night (Psalm 1:1-2)."  That is where you can find truth!  That is where you will learn to deal with struggles!  That is where you will learn to learn!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment