Sunday, June 26, 2022

Hope

Hebrews 6:19 reminds us that "We have this hope as an anchor for our souls, firm and secure."  I thought about this passage twice, just today.  The first time it came to mind is when I looked at a gravestone at Arlington National Cemetery.  A single word was on that stone ... HOPE.  Many of the stones have information about the soldier buried there.  But this stone said, HOPE.  Hope in the middle of a graveyard.  Hope in the midst of death.  Hope that we move from this life to life eternal, to be with a God who has given us promises of a place, a presence and a peace we cannot find without Him.

I also thought about this verse as troubled people walked through Washington DC.  Some were hoping there were enough police to keep angry crowds in check.  Some were hoping to be noticed.  Some were hoping in the Supreme Court, the Executive Branch or the Legislative branches of government.  Many hoped in everything but God.  But we, the people called Christians, don't have to rely on the power of governments, the charisma of activists, the might of money or the longevity of institutions to give us our hope.  We have hope.  It anchors our soul in storms and difficult times.  It is firm and secure and it doesn't change with the wind or the words of Justices, Presidents, Senators, Bishops or preachers.  God told Moses ... "I AM."  I am the God that is real.  I am the God who exists.  I am the God who endures.  I am the God who always is and always was.

So ... I leave you with that good word ... HOPE.  May God's hope fill you today!  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment