Monday, July 8, 2024

Pre-Christian

I have been getting a little weary of a commonly-used term (Post-Christian) I am hearing in Christian circles.  It is a pessimistic term that seems to defer power to our societal trends in America.  We see these trends becoming less Christian and more worldly (denominations, the fading mega-church model, self-orientation), and we see the Church as somehow drifting into obscurity.

Then, I think of our little sign in the FLC that says, "What is Jesus doing?"  Are these trends, and the negative comments related to them, really the work of Jesus, or are they the suggestions and thoughts of Satan?  I believe Jesus answered this in His prayer in John 16:33, "I have told you these things so that you might have peace!  In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart!  I have overcome the world."  So, in the Spirit of trusting what Jesus IS doing, I am suggesting a new word.  This new word will be the subject of several sermons over the next few weeks.  The term is, Pre-Christian.

What do I mean by Pre-Christian?  First, I believe Jesus is active in the world despite what we see or are led to believe.  Psalm 12 is our text for this belief.  In this Psalm, God says, "I will rise up and rescue them, as they have longed for me to do."  Embedded in the negativity I hear, is a sense of longing for something better, pure, right, and good.  While our society says, "Just go with the flow and submit," God says, "long for and believe I am faithful to come to your rescue."  That is the intent and direction of our God.

Second, God sees what is happening.  He knows ministry in this society is missional and difficult.  Isaiah said it over 2,500 years ago ... "I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips (Isaiah 6:5)."  Psalm 12 echos the chaos happening in society ...  "the wicked strut about, and evil is praised throughout the land."  If God sees, and God is active, something is about to happen.  You can count on it.

Finally, look around, seeing through God's eyes.  Every week I hear of a new congregation happening in our conference.  Africa is about to explode with new churches and congregations.  Young people are awakening from the "woke" culture to a dawning of the light of Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit.  God is doing something, and I think it is something big!

How can we participate in God's work here?  How about entering a discipleship process?  You can do this and we can help!  Come Wednesday night to learn a basic, but effective, model of leading a band.  Start a home band with your friends.  Join your brothers and sisters in worship ... for this is not optional if you want to be a disciple.  Join a servant-band (the Childrens ministry team, the mission team, help at the Thrift Store, get a team together and remove weeds from our flower beds, etc.).  And learn to witness to your faith, as we grow in Christ together.  We talk about how this can happen on Wednesday nights.

As I compile this list, I think of 2 groups that seem to get the point.  Our Sunday morning kids want to serve, and they are passionate about being part of what is happening.  It is an honor to them to be part of worship!  And, in videos and pictures from Africa (specifically the Congo), people are coming in droves to be part of the praise, learning, giving, and caring that takes place in early-Church-style worship.  They are not entertained ... they are invested.

God knows the barriers we face.  He has seen them before.  So I ask, do you believe Jesus, who said, "I have overcome the world?"  Are you resigned and defeated, calling our current era, Post-Christian?  Or are you part of the new thing God is doing in this Pre-Christian world?  

No comments:

Post a Comment