Monday, July 31, 2023

A New Language

One thing I have learned with the work I am doing for the Global Methodist Church is the realization that I need to be a good translator.  There are applicants for clergy ordination that range in age from the 20's to the 90's.  There are large churches with a hundred people on staff to those with only a part-time pastor and no other paid staff.  All of these people and organizations communicate at different levels.  Add to this dynamic, the Korean and Hispanic congregations in the Alabama Emerald Coast Conference, and the language-confusion becomes even more dramatic.

There is an old testament story of a place called Babel.  The story is from Genesis 11.  The people said, "Let us build ourselves a city with a tower that reaches to the heavens." In the south (this is where those translation skills become useful) we would say the people had become "too big for their britches."  They wanted the city for their control and ownership ("let us build ourselves a city").  They wanted to become like God ("let us build a tower to the heavens").  Their arrogance was not unnoticed by the Divine Counsel, so God said, "Let us go down and confuse their language."  This is why we use the term "babel" to describe nonsensical language.  So (according to Genesis 11) the people stopped building the city and were scattered over all the earth.

Then, at a place called Jerusalem (Acts 2) at the Feast of Pentecost.  Jews from many nations were gathered at this feast that celebrated the harvest, 50 days after Passover.  Many languages were spoken in this mishmash of humanity.  After being given the Holy Spirit, the disciples ran out into the street and began proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel.  Many things happened that day, but one of those happenings was, God rescinded the curse of Babel, for each person heard the message "in their own language."  Acts 2 said the people were "utterly amazed."

In 2000, I was honored to be able to go to Brazil, to a little place called Cacoal, the 4th largest city in the Rondonia region.  About 85,000 people lived there.  During my visit, I got to preach at a little church using an interpreter.  At the end of my message an old man came into the back of the church.  The interpreter was not where I was in the back of the church but here is what the people said happened.  I was speaking English to a group, and we were talking about our mission, our Savior and just sharing the Gospel.  The old man walked up and said, in Portuguese, "I heard the Americans were here and I want to become part of your church and give my life to Jesus."  He had overheard the conversation, in English.  He had missed my "eloquent" message.  But he was ready to follow Jesus.  Until I reread both of the above stories, I didn't understand.  Then, I realized God's message getting into the ears and hearts of people, depended less on me and totally on the movement of God's Spirit.

I am speaking this month about what we do on "The Day After The Day Of Pentecost."  When the Spirit comes, don't we go out and proclaim the Gospel?  Don't we tell our stories (bold witness) of how God has changed and transformed our lives?   Don't we tell everyone how Jesus has opened our ears and eyes to the truth and beauty of His message?

Every day, as I speak to people all over the nation about God's movement in the Global Methodist Church, I get to share my witness, and His story.  I think this is what Peter (1 Peter 2:5) meant when he wrote, "you, also, like living stones are being built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood ..."  Not tombstones that say, someone died here.  Living stones saying, "Look what God has done and is doing here."  All of this is a new language to many of the people I speak with.  They (we) have never been in this place in the context of our chosen "body of believers."  They are excited, thankful and expectant as God gives them (and us) words of witness.  Don't worry if you think you lack eloquence or words to tell what God has done ... the Spirit has broken the curse of Babel, and God will do whatever translation is needed.  Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment